Mabes is absolutely loving school. She loves learning, she loves her teacher, she loves the kids, and to my huge relief, she is behaving! She's a sweet girl and I love her more than anything, but she is a ball of energy that can be difficult to contain, so I worried about how she'd do. Each day, she'd bring home her folder, I'd initial by the "excellent" stamp, we'd talk about her day, and she'd tell me about the trouble makers. Last week, on our way home, I asked how she did. She said she did well, but that everyone was pretty crazy and they were distracting her. We got home, I looked in her folder, smiled a little, and said, "Uh oh Mabes...it says 'some talking.'"
I thought it was funny, especially since she had already said that everyone was chatty. Kids have off days, right? Only "some talking" from Mabes is practically a miracle. Mabes was pretty upset about it, though, and did not want to tell Dave. I assured her it was okay, it wasn't a big deal, and that she'd do better the next day. I don't want a doctor telling her she's pre-ulcer when she's 9, though my parents never put pressure on me, so maybe some things can't be prevented. Since then, she's gotten all "terrific" and "great" stamps.
She does have some interesting stories about school. On the second day, I sent her with a juice box and she spilled a little at lunch. A kid laughed at her, and she has since referred to him as "the boy who laughed at me when I spilled my juice at lunch." She's very matter-of-fact about it and doesn't seem upset, she just wants to make sure we know. A couple of days later, she was a bit smug when she told us how the boy who laughed at her when she spilled her juice at lunch got his name on the board. He's kind of crazy, she said.
Though her favorite friends are Maria and Autumn (even though she referred to her as Fall the first week), she proudly told me that at lunch, she was nice to the boy who laughed at her when she spilled her juice at lunch and she told him funny jokes and now they were friends. "Now dat he sees dat I'm funny and nice, maybe he won't laugh at me if I spill my juice at lunch." Way to go, Mabes.
Monterey revisited
9 years ago
2 comments:
I LOVE that she called Autumn Fall. That is so hilarious.
And I think that the boy who laughed at her when she spilled her juice at lunch will later become her husband. That would be a fun story to tell.
Ainsleigh called a girl "Lily with the squinty eyes" to distinguish her from the Lily of her preschool class. The thing was, um, that Lily is a quarter Japanese. I had to explain to Ainsleigh that we probably shouldn't refer to people by their physical characteristics. I love how kids refer to each other. I hope Mabes and Laughs-at-Juice-Box-Spills are friends for a very long time.
Post a Comment