I feel terrible. I know kids fall, they get scrapes, big deal. And she's fine. But I keep thinking about all the things I could do to prevent this kind of thing from happening, and the only conclusions I've come to are either a) completely pad our apartment and never let her leave or b) let her leave only when wearing knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, a helmet, and perhaps a catcher's chest protector. And maybe give her a rolling backpack (you know, to prevent scoliosis) when she heads off to school. But given her parents, she'll already be enough of a huge nerd, so why give other kids ammo?
This is what sucks about being a parent. I knew I'd hurt when she hurts, but I'm still sad for her after she's moved on. Knowing that I'm not able to keep her from experiencing pain is incredibly difficult, and yet I realize that's kind of the point. She has to have those experiences, and I have to let her.
It's pretty cute when she looks in the mirror and says, "Oh, no, I have messy on my face!" When she woke up from her nap, I heard her say, "I take owwie off," I thought, "huh, wonder what that means?" It means she's picking at it--gross! So it'll probably be there a while!
4 comments:
Ha Ha! That rolling backpack comment made me laugh out loud! So funny! Hey, I tagged you on my blog. Miss ya!
HEY! She looks just like you when you were 7 or something? And if you padded the whole apartment, she'd probably find scissors, pierce the padding and choke on the stuffing. You can't win.
Hahaha... I love the look of pure glee on her face, juxtaposed with the scary red spot on her nose. What a gal.
Wow, what a trooper!
Maybe you could hook up ropes to her appendages and then just yank on them every time she is about to hit, like your little puppet.
Post a Comment