Thursday, October 8, 2009

Failure

Perhaps one of the most humbling things about being a mom is that there are some things you can't control. You can't study. Well, you can, but it won't necessarily help. This is particularly annoying to me. Ever since I got a C in reading in 6th grade (I can still vividly remember crying in the bathroom) I have worked my tail off to never be average, or heaven forbid, fail. I never wanted my teachers or parents to be mad or disappointed in me, and the maybe 3 times in my school career that I got my name on the board still make my stomach turn. I always tried to do better than was expected of me, and most importantly: I.don't.fail.

Until now. When I went into labor with Mabes (and had a surprisingly fast labor--yay for being above average!) and it was time to push, my doctor said, "Okay, just so you know, the average first-time mom pushes for 2 hours." What? They don't show that on Baby Story! But then I just rolled my eyes, scoffed a little and said, "Yeah, well, I'm not average. We'll get this kid out in 10 minutes." Two hours later, I was eating my words.

And then today, I found out I failed my 1 hour glucose test. Seriously? I've been studying for this test my whole life! My body knows how to handle sugar! The nurse did preface it with "You're iron levels are great!" (iron doesn't let me eat chocolate chip cookies, though, does it?) and then finished it with "You just barely failed it--it's more of a screening test and you're barely over the cutoff." I've always said that if I'm going to fail, I'm go to crash and burn, but apparently I can't even do that. It's like my doctor has written my name on the board, and tomorrow I may get a check mark.

So I go in tomorrow and get to sit at the lab for 3 hours drinking concentrated sugar on an empty stomach and being treated like a human pin cushion. Funsies! And I keep telling myself the gestational diabetes diet would have its benefits, and I will of course do what's best for the baby. I'd be lying if I said Sarah's dream about me having a 15 pound baby didn't scare me a little. I'm just hoping we get the results fast so I know if I can have ice cream tomorrow night.

3 comments:

zeeny said...

I had to do that test with my first one...yuck. I had to wait until my next visit for answers...I suppose if you had a problem they would call! I ended up being fine, but the test was still no fun! Good luck!

alisa said...

Ugh...I had to do that test with Nate because of Bailyn's birth size. I am so sorry friend! I'm sure all will work out! Getting through the test will be the annoying part!!

Becca said...

Aww that's too bad!! Maybe lay off the sugar for a little bit then. =)